Sunday, January 10, 2010

While Waiting for an Ethiopian, Eat Like One


Tonight we were invited to the house of a very good friend. She is Ethiopian and made an incredible amount of food. My 7 year old ate 4 plates of injera with a meat/sauce sort of thing; my 11 year old son lost count. I ate two plates of injera. I have now had 6 glasses of water and can barely tell. I am emanating berbere, the peculiar and wonderful spice that is in most Ethiopian dishes. I had the chance to talk to a mom who adopted 2 kids when they were about the same age as our kids will be. I think the most comforting thing she said was, "It may seem really gross and overwhelming to talk about hair fungus. We all got it and I think my kids had it for.....years. But it's just something you deal with and then it's not that big of a deal."

I also spent about 7 minutes sitting with my back against a chair massager. Upper back? Lower back? Full back? Demo? I tried them all. I'm not sure how my outlook on life can be so changed after 7 minutes with a Half Price Walgreens Chair Massage but I'll take it. In fact, I may see if there is a 36 hour function so I can use it right up to Tuesday morning. My kids would think I'm only getting slightly creepier than I already am.

No comments:

Post a Comment