Thursday, February 11, 2010

One Week

I think I'm getting close to being ready to go. I have a week to "finish" things; with that much time it's hard to choose: organize the basement? throw out the liquifying garbanzo beans? vacuum the hamster room? buy more diapers?

It's hard to make decisions right now. It's somewhat hard to sleep. It's hard to not be crabby. It's hard to wait and it's hard to go.

Here's the plan:
Thursday: 11:30 a.m. flight to JFK
Thursday night: 11:00 p.m. flight on United Arab Emirates to Dubai
Friday night: Arrive in Dubai at 8:00 p.m.
Stay one night in Dubai
Saturday: 8:30 a.m. flight to Addis Ababa arriving at 11:25 a.m.

I can only imagine what I'll do with the girls. If it were just the baby, I would get her right away. However, our 2 year old seems very shy. I think (and simultaneously know nothing) that I would like to see them on Saturday afternoon/evening but let them sleep one more night in a familiar place. On Sunday we would go in the morning, spend some time at the care center and then bring them with us.

I'm trying to learn words in Amharic. So far I know: come, joy, tears, thank you, mom, dad, home, water and milk. The word for bathroom is terrifically long. Maybe Lizzie will take to diapers though I imagine her looking at me thinking, "You're white. You're scary. You smell funny. You massacre my language. And now you want me to go to the bathroom in my pants. This mom? Anyone? Anyone?" In the meantime, my 9 pound wonder baby with her 5 pound eyes will just stare at me and think, "Boy, do I wish I would have learned to drive."

3 comments:

  1. 9 pounds! So much better than 5! I'm so excited for you!!! I think everything else I can think to type has exclamation points with it, so just imagine lots of exclamation points :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok...don't go with the "Do you need to go potty"...Meh-tah-tih-bee-yah-BAYT meh-HEHD tih-fuh-lih-GAL-esh?
    Just use the poo poo word which is KAH-kah or the Pee Pee word which is Shint. Much easier and I think she'll get the idea. :) We are having fun with those new words over here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 25 years ago, Linda and I had a Mexican friend who said, "All North Americans smell like milk". Marty, you sound and love "like a Mommy". Have a wonderful, arduous trip.

    ReplyDelete